Export Client Digital Certificate - Internet Explorer to .CER
Aug 5, 2020
Exporting Your Client Digital Certificate from Internet Explorer to a .CER File Format
Article Purpose: This article provides step-by-step instructions for exporting your client digital certificate from Internet Explorer in a .CER file format. This will only export your public key. If you need to export your private key as well, please refer to the article, Export Client Digital Certificate to PKCS#12/.PFX. If this is not the solution you are looking for, please search for your solution in the search bar above.
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools icon in the top right corner. Select Internet Options.
- Click the Content tab. Select the Certificates button.
- Select your certificate. Click Export.
- The Certificate Export Wizard will begin. Click Next to start the process.
- Click No, Do Not Export the Private Key.
- Choose the “DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)” option.
- Create a name for your file. We recommend you name the file so it is easily identifiable and also that you store it in an easily accessible place, such as your desktop. Click Save.
- Confirm the file details. Click Finish.
- Your certificate is successfully saved and exported.