Generate a CSR - Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 & 6
Jul 27, 2020
Generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 & 6
Article Purpose: This article provides step-by-step instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 &6. If this is not the solution you are looking for, please search for your solution in the search bar above.
To generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR), perform the following steps:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS).
- Select the site where you want to enable secure communications.
- Right click the site to be secure, and select Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab.
- Under the Secure Communications section, click Server Certificate.
- The following Web Server Certificate Wizard will start.
- Click Next.
- Select the Create a new certificate option. Click Next.
- Select the Prepare the request now, but send it later option. Click Next.
- Type a Friendly Name for the certificate (this can be anything).
- Select the Bit Length (2048) and whether you want to use SGC (Server Gated Cryptography). Click Next.
- Input the Organization (O) and the Organizational Unit (OU) fields. Click Next.
- Input the Common Name (Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) – www.yourdomain.com). This must reflect the web server DNS Name. Click Next.
- Input the Country/Region, City and State. This information must be correct. Abbreviations will not be accepted by the system.
- Select where the file will be saved, and the name of the file. Typically, the root of the Hard Drive, or on the Desktop is recommended, so the file can be found quickly. Click Next.
- You will now be presented with a summary screen of all the information that has been inputted. Insure all information is correct. Click Next.
- You have now generated your CSR. Select Finish to close the wizard.