Article Purpose: This step-by-step article provides instructions for testing that an SSL certificate has been properly installed and can now be seen in the browser when visiting the domain.
To test the SSL certificate installation you can simply visit the domain name which is secured by the newly installed certificate.
- Go to any web browser and type in the full domain name starting with “https” (e.g., https://www.globalsign.com).
- Depending on the type of certificate you installed you will see different trust indicators in front of the URL in the address bar. Below is the visual indicator for an ExtendedSSL certificate which provides the highest level of security.
Internet Explorer Error:
Google Chrome Error:
There are a few items you can check before contacting support for assistance:
- Validity period – Is the certificate expired?
- Intermediate certificate – Do you have the correct intermediate installed for the type of certificate you have?
- Firewall – Do you have the correct settings on your firewall (e.g., Is Port 443 is open?)